Because caprese is such a simple dish, it’s vital that its made with only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients.
- Two large, ripe red and yellow tomatoes
- 1lb fresh mozzarella (Buy it!)
- 12 sprigs fresh basil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Arrange on platter alternating tomato and cheese slices in an overlapping pattern.
- Place fresh basil leaves in between the tomato and mozzarella slices, and drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately at room temperature.
Makes 4 appetizer servings.